Akio Zenjiro's Birth Story

April 24th, 2014

I had a doctor's appointment earlier and was checked if I had started dilating. My doctor said I was between 1cm - 2cm dilated. I was also told that after this I could be spotting. And I did just like with Zaki. But I didn't head to the hospital yet knowing I won't be in labor until a few days later, just like my labor with Zaki. I wasn't even sure if I was having any contractions. I was sore, but I wasn't sure if it was from chasing Zaki all day or a real contraction.

April 26th, 2014

I walked a lot over the past few days. I chased after Zaki a lot. We headed to Edmonton's Law Court for Law Day. It was fun. We got to learn tons of information about our rights and where we can go for help, if needed. It was a lot of walking! I haven't even noticed that I had started leaking. Later that day, I decided to go to the hospital to get checked. It was around 5pm when I got checked. I was only 1cm dilated and contractions weren't constant. So they couldn't admit me until I was in active labor, which was at least 3cm dilated. But the nurse told me that she has a feeling we'll be seeing her tonight. They sent me home with some swabs to check if my water did break. I decided we should head to target before going home to get more walking done. Target was only a few blocks away from the hospital. Shopping is a good distraction for this situation. We got home around 8pm, and I even got some laundry done. I was so restless the entire night.

April 27th, 2014

At around 6am, I felt the contractions get stronger and more constant. I decided we should head to the  hospital. We had to leave Zaki at home. I felt so sad leaving him behind. I was never away from him for a long time. But I would rather have him at home than in the hospital with me.

When we arrived at the hospital, I was checked again. This time I was about 2cm dilated. It was also positive that my water had broke. I started leaking tons when we arrived there. I was then moved to a much comfy room that was to be my labor & delivery suite. I was surprised at how lovely the hospital was. It was a very small hospital. But the nurses, staff and doctors were all very sweet. They were helpful and attentive. I couldn't have chosen a better hospital to have this baby delivered. As soon as Tim and I got settled, he started taking snapshots of moments happening throughout the time.

At 7am, I was at 2cm. By 11:30am, I was at 7cm. I didn't use any painkillers until then. But the hospital had a stability ball. And I love it. We have one at home and it's so helpful during labor. I was able to walk around and bounce on that ball, which helped speed up the delivery. I also practiced my breathing with every contraction. The hospital also had a "butt" tub to just soak your bum in. It was filled with warm water. It helped a lot too. I was sitting on it for about an hour. At about 11am, I couldn't handle the pain anymore. So I decided to finally use some good old gas. I timed every contraction, so I knew when each contraction would come. I puffed gas a few seconds before each contraction to have maximum effect. At about 1:30pm, I decided to take something stronger than the given gas. They had to IV me to be able to insert some sort of pain killer in my system. They said I could only use 4 shots. And each shot would only relive pain for some good 15 minutes. I only had to use 2 shots. I got really high after being inserted the pain killer. But the pain only got stronger.

I got through this labor only because of God. The night before my labor, I asked a friend of mine for the exact same message she sent me before I gave birth to Zaki. I couldn't find it in my inbox, but I was so thankful she sent it again. I meditated on it a lot. With each contraction I repeated it in my head:

"Christ with me, Christ before me,
Christ behind me, Christ in me,
Christ beneath me, Christ above me,
Christ on my right, Christ on my left,
Christ when I lie down, Christ when I sit down,
Christ in the heart of everyone who thinks of me,
Christ in the mouth of everyone who speaks of me,
Christ in the eye that sees me,
Christ in the ear that hears me."

God's presence filled that place as each contraction got more painful. I wouldn't have gotten through that day without Him. He, who's suffered far worst than I did, had strengthen me that day. And my experience with that hospital and all their staff was perfect. All who handled me and our little baby boy were the sweetest. They all were so encouraging. I wish I could've given them something nice before we got discharged. I can't be more thankful enough. I had such a peaceful labor that I even took a selfie a few hours before it was time to push. Tim took a video of mostly everything and I'm so glad I can always look back at that moment. I wish we could've taken a video for Zaki's delivery too! You can watch the video here.

By 3:25pm, at 7.1 lbs and 20 inch long, a little boy named Akio Zenjiro was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment